mercredi, février 08, 2006

Driving on heavy snow for the first time

It was Jan. 28.
The snow had been announced for a week. Friday morning it seemed to become serious.
Luckily, don't work on Friday afternoon.
It took 5 minutes to uncover my car from the snow of 15 cm - for the 1st time in my life. JC hadn't call at all; I was afraid that he would propose me to stay square and wait for him to pick me up... So now, the first driving experience in heavy snow, WITHOUT "General" JC! I was almost excited!
Just, I know that with my skill, it's wise to drive back home as soon as possible. If I could have done it, my story will stop here.
One hours later I was told that the boys are waiting for me to bring them back to La Roche. I therefore returned to the downtown of Valence. After slipping in front of the red traffic light twice, and moving right and left like a drunk in climbing up a bridge, I knew that it's no longer amusing. I decided that for my return, I'll take another itinerary without bridge.
Unfortunately my decision was wrong. Of course there was no bridge, but the road itself goes high and low - much worse than the bridge! My Saab 1993 started to dance like a crab, moving left and right only, in front of a big climbing. With three people, full of shoppings for the next week and school affaires, I could understand how difficult it was for my big SAAB.
A long line started to accumulate behide us...I continue to make my efforts, but in my head, I already started to imagine that a Police car would come to save all of us, and the snow will completely cover my SAAB during the night...
Then some one appeared near the car window, but not a police. He said: "hurry up for home you guys! I'll push your car!" So I woke up, and ask the boys to get down and push the car together with the stranger. It worked! Moreover, the guy gaved the boys a typical French appreciation to women: Is that a woman who is driving? No wonder!
Good! No one knows everything, so, not difficuilt to imagine a woman from plate Shanghai to drive in mountainous France covered by heavy snow of 30 cm!
Like this, my car went on...there was one time that I missed the road and drove on the way of the oposite direction; sometimes the glass cleaners dropped off; from time to time, my car danced a little; but most of the time, my SAAB pretented to be a snail.
...If I'm writing all these down today, it's because I'd successfully returned home that Friday - My first drive in a windy snowy day!

Aucun commentaire: